Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Tis the season...and other things

Tis the season to be ridiculously busy. I've spent the past three days sitting in EMD class. It wasn't that bad, except that class started early in the morning and I've been doing night shifts so the hours about killed me. Not to mention we've been crazy busy at work lately so I've had to stay and help after I got out of the eight hours of class. I was scheduled to stay last night, but tonight I got asked to stay over. I don't mind too much, but I'm exhausted.
Something I don't understand though, seems like people I talk to who have been in the EMS profession for any extended period of time finds it necessary to tell me not to get in the field. Even my professors tell me that I'm young, that I should just get into nursing now. It hasn't changed anything, I'm pretty well determined to get my red patch. I just wonder why people in the field caution me about it so much. At this point I do plan on going on to my RN, hopefully through a bridge program, but the one I'm looking at requires experience as a paramedic, which makes sense and I'm perfectly ok with. I don't know what the eventual plan is. I'd kinda like to do flight nurse I think, maybe do some overseas work if the opportunity ever affords itself. I'm only 20, so I guess I have some time to decide...
Merry Christmas, happy holidays, and all that jazz out there to you bloggers. And for those of you working over the holidays, take care of yourself and be safe out there...

1 comment:

Ambulance Mommy said...

I think people feel the need to tell you to get out of EMS before you even started because they know that it can be an emotionally draining field. Not that nursing isn't....frankly, not that anything isn't after a time. My husband works EMS full time, and the differences in him now are staggering. We used to volunteer together, and the way we view patients, and calls...wow. Its hard to explain the difference, but I know he's frustrated by the 3 am hang nail calls for folks who aren't paying the bill because they pull out the Medicare card. It takes a toll eventually. But you will never know if its something you love until you try it. Just make sure that you have a system of checks and balances....that you have someone to tell you if you are getting jaded. Being 20 means you have a long life ahead of you, and nothing says that in 5 years you can't go back for a nursing degree, or even go in an entirely different career direction! Good luck!!! :)