Tuesday, December 2, 2008

First and last

Today was my last rotation for the intermediate section. I'm so glad to have my clinical's over. Now maybe my schedule can calm down for a bit. I'm also registered to go through school next semester, on to paramedic. I just hope I have what it takes...time will tell.
Today I saw real CPR for the first time. We walked into the hospital, a large trauma center here in town, and walked past the resus room and our attention was immediately diverted to the code that was being worked. They were already going on 20min, and it was a traumatic code, so I had no expectation that the guy would come back, and was just waiting for the doc to call it. We never got a full story, but from what we could tell he was either hit with a chainsaw, or cut with a knife on his neck...but managed to miss all airway structures, and missed his carotid. He took 8 units of blood, but once the last unit was in, after one more shot of epi he got a pulse, and his rhythm went to a pretty sinus rhythm, and once he had some blood his BP was better than mine. I couldn't believe they got him back...that's not supposed to happen. And even though I didn't get to work it or anything, it was still pretty exciting.

No comments: