Friday, November 14, 2008

History behind the name...

For some reason I keep getting questions about the title of my blog...I would have thought it was obvious..but I guess I'll elaborate on it for the curious....

As I said a few posts back, I've had my basic cert for all of six months. I'm also short, and I don't look like I'm as old as I am...
There were several calls while I was with little private service where I would go get up front to drive and have a family passenger sitting in the cab already, and as I got in the driver seat they would look at me with the most serious face and ask, "So how old are you?" and once they got their answer, the next question was immediately, "And, uh, just how long have you been doing this." If it was a good day they usually got a smart ass answer, that this was the first time I'd ever driven the truck, or that I just got my cert yesterday...usually it brought on a laugh, other times a concerned look until I clarified....
I've been doing my ride-outs for the intermediate section of my class, and part of the ride outs is that we are required to have 5 IV sticks in the field, and five in the hospital. Maybe I look nervous, because most times I'm about ready to shit myself, but it seems every time I go to start an IV they ask if I've done this before. One poor soul even went so far as to tell me that I look like I'd do a good job at the stick and he felt good about me doing it...I didn't tell him that he was my first stick outside of class, and I certainly didn't tell him that I'd never tried a stick in the back of a moving truck...but I guess he was right, I got him, with minimal blood-letting even...
So...there it is in a nutshell for all you curious folk....Sorry it's not a more exciting story...Maybe one day I'll have some more interesting stories for ya...

No comments: