Monday, November 17, 2008

I didn't save any lives today

I didn't save any lives today. No CPR, no drug pushing, no order barking, not even any extricating. I wasn't there in someone's deepest time of need, nor was I the angel rushing in to save the day. What I did was far different.
I held the hand of a young lady who wanted to die, and let her talk, I listened without judgment.
I talked with a woman who was pregnant for the first time. She was alone and scared, and I didn't do anything clinically for her, but we compared experiences, and joked about her husband, and the great hospital food. In the middle of her fear and worry, she was able to laugh and enjoy her day, at least for a few minutes while I was at the bedside.
So, no, I didn't save a life today, but I could certainly go for another day like today.

No comments: