Sunday, November 23, 2008

Should I stay or should I go?

I played this song a few times on rock band today..it wasn't pretty...

But this is not a rock band post...

I got my basic in May of 2008. Meaning, I'm very new to the EMS thing. I breezed through class with no problem, and I love being on the truck. I'm green, but who isn't straight outta school? I'm also in paramedic school right now. Next month I'll be able to test at the intermediate level. I've reached a bit of a crossroads for myself, I'm trying to decide whether to finish the paramedic section, or stop for a while and get some experience. Part of me really wants to go on and just get it over with.
Then, there's the part of me that is scared. I'm scared of allowing myself to go straight through. I don't feel nearly as confident with my skills and knowledge this time. I don't want to go straight through if I'm going to just be a mediocre medic. If I'm going to do it I want to excel. Nor do I want to go straight through and end up hurting someone cause I don't have any of the common sense that comes with experience. I don't know if I'm ready to be in charge.
So...I think I might have made my mind up to stop for a while and finish my basic classes. I just don't know. I wish I knew what I should do. But I don't, and I can't even make up my mind for what I want to do...

1 comment:

Ambulance Driver said...

Hard question to answer.

On the one hand, I'd say stay in the field and get some experience.

But honestly, being an EMT-I isn't going to gain you that much quality experience over being an EMT-B.

And experience is only valuable if it's good experience. That was what ruined Bitchy Partner - she started with the most bitter, toxic, burnout partner you can imagine, and now she'll never lose that skewed mindset.

Speaking as an educator, if you gave me my choice between teaching a green EMT-B who worked an ALS truck part time, and an experienced EMT-B or EMT-I...

I'd choose the green student every time. Much less useless shit to un-learn.